CLOSED ALPHA PATCH NOTES 0.5
Welcome to Closed Alpha Patch 0.5, featuring our new mode TURF WAR and a handful of balance tweaks. Turf War is a domination-style mode with our own unique twist. In this test, we will focus solely on Turf War, as we want your feedback on this mode specifically. This mode is fast-paced and is much quicker than our other game mode, Overcharge. We hope you enjoy the high energy and insane buzzer-beater moments Turf War provides. We can’t wait to see you playing it online! We’re also shortening the alpha access window to get more players in a shorter window of time, therefore stress-testing the servers with an overall higher concurrent player count.
Watch the Turf War video tutorial below:
Besides the introduction of a brand new mode, the other most notable thing is that we’ve removed Assassin's melee tracking as a first step in some longer term changes for her. We’re looking to reduce how overbearing she can be against inexperienced players, while also increasing the rewards she gets from high skill play. Removing the tracking should clean up some of her excess power at lower levels while we continue to work on future changes.
- Increased alt-fire fuel consumption from 50% to 60%
- Removed melee tracking
- Romerus ideal damage range increased from 20 to 25 units (revert to Patch 0.3 values)
- Reduced duration of Neutron Mine slow field from 10 to 3 seconds
- Neutron Mine can now be destroyed before the slow field is triggered
New Stuff & Improvements:
- Introduction of new game mode: Turf War
- New "Leave Match" button
- Added informative bullet-point text to all character weapons & abilities
- Improved video settings
- Party invites can now be received while in a match
- Press Tab while in chat to switch between "Team" and "All-Chat"
- Experimenting with new anti-cheat solutions
- New Friend Online status
- Fixed audio settings not being saved when restarting the game.
- Fixed game resolution and UI does not scaling when going from windowed to fullscreen.
- Fixed missing input when returning to game after alt-tabbing out, during map travel.
- Fixed issue where mouse horizontal and vertical sensitivity were not the same.
- Fixed error "quickmatch unsuccessful matchmaking for region DEV.
- Fixed long matchmaking times for parties.
- Fixed issue when players were not able to connect to LB correctly when using non-standard characters for their steam names.
- Fixed unicode characters not displaying with in-game chat.
- Fixed issue where disbanded party members would be stuck in matchmaking.
- Players can be idle kicked during the end of match screens.
- Chain lightning remains attached to enemies.
- After joining a match on the fly, red outline is missing on enemies.
- Sliders set to zero will automatically reposition to 50%.
- Mouse exits game window when using Full Screen with dual monitors.
- Reset to Default button does not work.
- Connected controllers vibrate while playing with Keyboard and mouse.
- 'Left' and 'Right' arrow keys move the camera.
- Pressing 'Down' arrow key scrolls the key map page instead of remapping.
- Rebinding ability keys does not update keys on the HUD.
- Battery Capture message are sometimes out of order when immediately capturing battery after pickup.
- Death-cam HUD sometimes missing after switching Roles.
- Hit marker pips display when player spectator takes damage right before you respawn.
- Enemy character red outlines are missing for players who join a match in progress.
- Turf War Game HUD freezes when joining an existing match
- Game mode HUD says "Score 13 to Win" during Overtime, even when both teams have 13 points
- Map name in lobby screen sometimes displays "Untitled #".
- Party and party leader icon are always displayed, and overlapping, on Scoreboard.
- Player's names are being cut off on the in-game scoreboard.
- Stats are not saved for Players that leave a match before the match ends.
- Stats: Average Score and Distance Travelled is not being tracked.
We also have some additional notes straight from Cliff Bleszinski that go more in-depth on the notes above:
Cliff Bleszinski here, and I’ve got some updates for you because we’re making a videogame and whatnot.
So....welcome to Closed Alpha Patch 0.5, featuring our new mode TURF WAR and a small set of balance tweaks. For this weekend’s test, we’re focusing solely on Turf War, so there will be no Overcharge mode. Sorry Overcharge peeps time to give our new mode some time to shine and soak in your feedback. A bit about the mode...Turf War is our unique spin on a domination-like mode. There are three zones on the map, capture a zone and it locks. Once all three zones are locked, you’ll go into a 30-sec intermission, where you’ll want to strategize and take out enemies. After 30-seconds, the zones will unlock ready to be captured again. First team to 13 points wins. Oh yeah, if the game ties with both teams having 12 points...that’s when it goes into OVERTIME. First team to capture two zones wins. This mode has caused some insane moments here at the studio when we’ve playtested it in the office...we can’t wait until you play it from home.
Regarding those small balance tweaks I mentioned:
First up, we have our Assassin role. The biggest thing we’ve done is remove her melee tracking as a first step in some longer term changes for this role. The dev team is looking at ways we can reduce how overbearing she can be against inexperienced players, but not forgetting to find ways to increase the rewards she gets from high skill play. Removing the tracking should clean up some of her excess power at lower levels. We will continue to work on future changes from behind the scenes, don’t worry.
Another thing with the Assassin is the ideal damage range of the Romerus increased a bit. #Funfact: that gun is named after FPS legend John Romero. Google him, kids.
Overall for the Assassin, I find it ironic that we set out to make a skill-based shooter and the melee class winds up being the most-selected role in our FPS game. Hah.
Next up, the Vanguard. Not much here for this patch, we increased her alt-fire fuel cost from 50%60%. Our Multiplayer Designer Andrew Witts felt she was being too powerful, which I think is BS, because she's the one class I can actually dominate with. GO FIGURE!
Continuing on, we’ve got the Titan. Biggest thing here is we reduced the duration of the Neutron Mine slow field from 10 to 3 seconds. This ability was simply slowing players down for too long. We want to keep slowing at a minimum (not like we’re going to introduce a character with a freeze ray or anything nuts like that). Something new and cool though if you’re on the receiving end of the mine, is that it can now be destroyed before the slow field is triggered keep your eyes peeling and you can Neutralize the Neutron!
Now a few odds and ends, I’ll just leave some little comments next to them…
- New “Leave Match” button - Works better than ALTF4!
- Improved video settings - For those of you on potatoes...upgrade your stuff already!
- Party invites can now be received while in a match - Because friends.
- Press Tab while in chat to switch between “Team” and “All- Chat” - Keep those friends closer.
- Experimenting with new anti-cheat solutions - Shout out to those who felt the need to hack our game this early, you’re the real MVP.
- New Friend Online status - Stalk much?
- New Character “cheat sheet” on F1 key when spawned and in-game - For the newbies.
Well, that’s about all. Y’all seem to dig the game, which we really appreciate. Two years into this studio and over 65 folks appreciate the feedback, the hype, the comments and hopefully, someday you might actually buy this darned thing. And once again, it won’t be sixty clams.